It’s that time of the year when you want a hearty meal to make you feel good and warm you up. I’ve got the perfect comforting classic beef stew recipe for you. I’d recommend making your own beef stock for this recipe. For the roasted beef stock recipe head over to the cooking basics page. It’s best to make the stock the day before if you don’t already have some made. Otherwise, this 3 hour beef stew will end up taking all day. This recipe can be tailored to make it your own by deglazing with red wine, adding parsnips, etc.
Hope you enjoy!
Yield – 6 Servings
2lbs Beef stew meat, cubed
1 Large onion, medium dice
2 Large carrots, cut into coins
4 Large celery stalks, medium dice
1/2lb White mushrooms, quartered
4 Medium russet potatoes, medium dice
5 Garlic cloves, minced
32 Ounces roasted beef stock
1/2 Cup flour
1 Tbsp Salt
2 Tsp Black pepper
4 Thyme sprigs
2 Bay leaves
3 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Mix flour and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add beef to bowl and coat evenly.
- Add olive oil to a large pot. On medium-high heat brown the coated beef then remove from the pot and set aside.
- Saute onions and garlic for 5 mins. Add carrots, celery, and mushrooms. Saute for 5 mins.
- Deglaze the pot with 1 cup of beef stock
- Add beef back to the pot
- Add remainder of beef stock, thyme, bay leaves, and black pepper to the pot
- Simmer for 1.5-2hrs with the lid on the pot
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste