This is the perfect side dish for any breakfast or brunch. I love this preparation because you can make it your own by adding whatever toppings you like, I usually use whatever is laying around in the fridge. We’re going to be using caramelized onions, chives, and parmesan. The caramelized onions adding a deep rich sweetness, chives adding a fresh bite, and the parmesan adding a little salt and funk to balance out the caramelized onions.The entire recipe will take about 1 hour but the active time is only about 20 mins. This is another great thing because you can cook other breakfast items while these are cooking on the side.
The caramelized onions will take the longest out of anything so you’re going to want to start those first. Using a little bit of butter you’re just going to saute them at a low to medium heat while occasionally stirring. If the onions start sticking use a small amount of water to deglaze the pan. The final product will be light to dark brown.
While the onions are caramelizing you’re going to start pan frying your potatoes in olive oil occasionally stirring. The trick to crispy potatoes is completely drying them before cooking, leaving them alone while they’re cooking, and stirring or scraping them off the bottom of the pan about every 10 minutes. Once potatoes are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside its time to season them. Finally, plate the potatoes and top with caramelized onions, parmesan cheese, and chives.
- Cast iron skillet
- Metal Spatula
- Saute pan
- Rubber Spatula
- Chef knife
- Cutting Board
- Large bowl – rinsing potaoes
- Microplane – for grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2lbs any kind of potatoes, medium dice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, julienned
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp kosher salt
Parmesan cheese for garnish
Chives for garnish
|Crispy seasoned potatoes|
- Start by pre heating your saute pan to low-medium heat then add the butter and onions,using a rubber spatula stir about every 5-10 minutes
- While onions are cooking rinse the diced potatoes in a large bowl until the water runs clear, strain the water from the potatoes then pat completely dry with a towel
- Pre heat the cast iron skillet to medium high heat them add the olive oil followed by the potatoes, stir to arrange potatoes in an even layer to evenly brown. Stir/scrape potatoes about every 10 minutes until they’re crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Once the potatoes are done cooking mix in the onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and kosher salt.
- The caramelized onions should just about be ready at this point, deglaze the pan with a small amount of water. Transfer the onions to a cutting board once all the liquid in the pan has evaporated. Roughly chop the caramelized onions.
- Finally, plate the crispy potatoes then top with caramelized onions, minced chives, and freshly grated parmesan cheese using a microplane