Roasting in my opinion is the best way to cook and eat cauliflower. It’s a pretty simple process that involves choosing which way you want to cut your cauliflower, seasonings, and additional toppings. For this recipe we’re keeping it simple with a little sweet, savory, and light acidity. Date syrup brings the sweetness with a slight molasses flavor that really compliments roasted flavors well. Za’atar adds a nice herby tangy flavor with a little crunch from roasted sesame seeds. The roasted onions are just adding a different type of sweetness and they’re just delicious. To brighten up the flavor up the dish add a handful of pomegranate seeds to add a slight acidity along with cilantro to bring a light citrus flavor. I’ve made a few version of roasted cauliflower but this one really stuck with me. Lets jump into the recipe!
To start this recipe you need to decide how you want to cut your cauliflower, steaks or florets. I chose steaks because I like the way it looks when it’s plated. Once the cauliflower is ready to be prepared start by lining a baking sheet with parchment paper and pre heat the oven to 450 degrees. Lay the cauliflower pieces on the lined sheet pan. In a small bowl mix together date syrup and za’atar. Spread the mixture over the pieces of cauliflower or toss in a bowl to coat pieces. Top cauliflower with julienned red onions and a drizzle of olive oil, bake for 17 minutes.
Once the cauliflower is removed from the oven transfer it to a plate in an even layer, topping it off with the roasted onions. Sprinkle za’atar over the cauliflower, don’t be shy with it. To finish it off top with flaky salt, roughly chopped cilantro and a handful of pomegranate seeds.
– Cauliflower should be be tender enough to pierce with a fork but not mushy
– Any type of onion can be used for this recipe, I just prefer red for the color
1 head of cauliflower, cut into steaks OR florets
1/3 cup date syrup
2 tbsp za’atar and extra for plating
1 medium sized red onion, julienned
Extra virgin olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 450 degrees
- Mix together date syrup and za’atar, coat cauliflower with mixture
- Place the cauliflower in a single layer on a lined baking sheet then top with red onions and a drizzle of olive oil
- Bake for 17 mins
- To plate, transfer cauliflower to a serving dish, top with za’atar, cilantro, and pomegranate seeds