This post may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure policy.
This is hands down the best cornbread I’ve ever made. It’s extremely easy to make and contains few ingredients. The sweet potato adds a different kind of sweetness that goes really well with honey and cornmeal. If you’re feeling really crazy you can spread some honey butter on it. This is the perfect addition to the dinner table this holiday season.
Start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees. Measure out the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and baking soda then use a whisk to blend. In a separate bowl mix the egg, buttermilk, honey, melted butter, and mashed sweet potato. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry bowl. Mix together with a rubber spatula. Grease up a 12 inch cast iron skillet with a stick of butter. Pour the cornbread mixture into the cast iron, even it out by shaking side to side. The batter should be a loose enough to even out in the pan. Bake for about 20 minutes. Let it rest for about 20 minutes then transfer to a cutting board to serve. I had to carefully run a butter knife around the edge of the skillet to release it. Serve with butter and honey.
– If you don’t have a 12 inch cast iron skillet you can use a smaller one or a baking dish. Bake times will vary depending how thick the cornbread is.
– To make honey butter, leave a stick of butter out at room temp until its soft then mix with a few tablespoons of honey
– To make quick mashed sweet potato. Peel the potato then cut into small chunks. Place the chunks in a microwave safe bowl, cover with water, microwave for about 5 minutes. The bowl will be extremely hot, remove with oven mits. Drain the water then mash with a fork.
1 cup / 120g all purpose flour
1 cup / 120g cornmeal
1 tsp / 4g baking powder
1/2 tsp / 2g baking soda
12 oz buttermilk
1 cup / 120g sweet potato, mashed
2 oz honey
4 oz butter, melted
1 egg, whisked
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together with a whisk
- In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients then mix with a rubber spatula
- Coat a 12 inch cast iron skillet with butter then pour the cornbread mixture in, shake it side to side to even the batter out
- Bake for 20 mins, let rest for 20 mins
- Transfer to a cutting board, cut, serve, enjoy