This post may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure policy.
I’ve been eating this bowl a ton lately. It’s the “healthy food that tastes delicious” that everyone is always talking about. This is the real deal and contains all kinds of textures, flavors, and colors. The eye appeal is off the charts and I think that’s what initially drew me to eating so many of them, not to mention building them is a ton of fun. I always love to see the finished product and decide what else could be added to improve it. Not going to lie, I was supposed to add pepitas to this bowl but I was mesmerized. Make one for yourself and you’ll see why. I think it’s a pretty self explanatory recipe in the directions so I don’t think a walkthrough is necessary. As always leave any questions you have in the comment section.
Food processor (Ninja BN801 Professional Plus Kitchen System) – Affiliate link
This is the food processor that I used for the broccoli. Chopping up the broccoli to the size of rice grains is the key making this bowl mixable and less clunky
1 cup basmati rice
1 broccoli crown, chopped in a food processor including the stem
1/4 of a small Red cabbage, julienned
2 Carrots, shredded
1 cup Frozen peas. thawed
16oz Garbanzo beans
2 tbsp Rice vinegar
1 Red jalapeno, thinly sliced
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 small piece of ginger, grated
Slurry, 2tbsp water and 2tbsp cornstarch
- Cook 1 cup of basmati rice according to package directions, set aside until bowl is ready to be assembled
- Cut the broccoli in large chunks, place in the bowl of a food processor, pulse until the broccoli is about the size of rice grains. Julienne the red cabbage. Shred the carrots on the largest side of a box grater. Combine all of these veggies in a bowl.
- Drain and rinse 1 can of garbanzo beans
- Thaw out frozen peas by placing them in a strainer and running cold water over them
- To make the cucumber ribbons, peel the cucumber lengthwise using the full width of the peeler to get the widest ribbon. Place the ribbons in a small bowl, mix with the rice vinegar
- To assemble the bowl, start by laying down a bed of the basmati rice, then a handful of the broccoli, cabbage, and carrot mixture. Fold the marinated cucumber ribbons and place them along the perimeter of the bowl. Top the bowl off with garbanzo beans, peas, and red jalapenos. Finally, finish it all off with teriyaki sauce to taste.
Teriyaki sauce directions:
- Combine the water, soy sauce, honey, granulated garlic, granulated onion, and ginger in a small sauce pan. Bring pot to a simmer.
- Whisk in the slurry, cook until sauce appears to be slightly thickened