This post may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure policy.
Broccoli cheddar has always been my favorite soup but I occasionally crave some heat when I eat. What better way to add some fire than a jalapeno and a little vinegar to balance it all out. This is definitely a recipe to add to your lineup for these cold winter months or if you’re one of those people who eats soup in the summer.
Visit my Amazon storefront to view all the equipment I use
I wanted to keep things vegetarian so I skipped the chicken stock and opted for vegetable stock but you can really use any kind of stock you prefer. If you don’t have an immersion blender to blend the soup at the end you can just leave the vegetables chunky or cut them smaller when you prep. If fresh broccoli is not an option frozen broccoli will work, thaw it completely before using it. The excess water that comes off the broccoli when its thawing can thin the soup out.
1 / 170g White Onion, large dice
2 / 143g Carrots, large dice
2 / 170g Celery ribs, large dice
1 / 42g Jalapeno, cut into rings
3 / 15g Garlic cloves, minced
2 / 340g Broccoli crowns, roughly chopped
12oz / 340g Sharp cheddar, shredded
Extra sharp cheddar for garnish if serving in a bread bowl
2c / 500ml Almond milk
1c/ 250ml Vegetable stock/Water
2 oz / 66g Butter
2 oz / 66g Flour
1 oz / 25ml White vinegar
1 circular loaf of bread
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot
- Sauté the onion, carrots, celery, broccoli, jalapenos, and garlic for 15-20 minutes or until tender
- Add the flour to the vegetables, mix until you can no longer see the flour and there’s a small amount of browning on the bottom of the pot. Stir in the vegetable stock and almond milk.
- Bring the pot to a low simmer then mix in the shredded cheese a handful at a time
- Add the vinegar
- Using an immersion blender, roughly blend the soup. Submerge then pulse blend working around the edge of the pot to the center
- Cut the top quarter off the bread, hollow out the bread by pulling the bread out with your fingers, keep the bread for dipping
- Preheat the broiler
- Fill the bread bowl with soup, top off with a mound of cheddar cheese, place under the broil for about 1 minute or until the cheese starts to slightly brown