This post may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure policy.
Not going to fib about how easy this is to make but it’s also not extremely difficult. You just need to be willing to spend the time. The results are well worth the time and effort. Soft pillowy pitas may be a foreign idea to you. If you’ve written off pitas due to them being dry and hard then I urge you to give them one more shot. I still buy pitas at the store when I find them relatively fresh but I always end up saying I should’ve just made them. Don’t be like me and just go ahead and make them, you’ll be glad you did.
Visit my Amazon storefront to view all the equipment I use
4 cups/544g All-purpose flour
2 1/4 tsp/7g Active dry yeast
2 tsp 8g Salt
1 tsp/5ml Extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups/750ml Warm water
1 tsp/7g Honey
- Combine yeast, honey, and warm water in a mixing bowl. Let it sit for 10 mins, or until mixture is bubbly.
- Meanwhile, pre mix the flour and salt together
- When the wet mixture is bubbly add the flour, salt, and olive oil. Mix to form a shaggy dough.
- Lightly dust your workspace with flour, transfer the dough to the workspace, knead until dough becomes elastic and smooth. This should take around 5-10 mins.
- Form the dough into a ball by turning and tucking the ends under the dough. Lightly oil a bowl, place the dough ball inside, cover with plastic wrap then a towel. Place in the warmest spot in your house, let proof for 2 hours or until the ball doubles in size.
- When the dough has doubled, transfer it back on to your workspace, divide the dough into 8 equal size pieces, form them into balls, cover with plastic wrap to prevent them from drying out.
- Pre heat oven to 475 degrees, place a cast iron pan in the oven to heat up.
- Lightly dust your work surface then roll each ball to 1/16″ thickness using a rolling pin, immediately place in the cast iron pan, close the oven door for 2 mins then flip pita with a spatula, cook for 2 more minutes. Place the cooked pita in a kitchen towel, keep them wrapped until you’re done cooking, this prevents the pita from drying out. Store in a air tight bag once they’re done cooling inside the wrapped towel.