This post may contain affiliate links, please read my disclosure policy.
I’d consider myself a part time vegetarian at this point. My meat intake has gone down and I’ve been trying more meat free options. There’s a whole big world out there of amazing food that doesn’t have any meat and I’ve barely scratched the surface. Taquitos are an occasionally guilty pleasure of mine but I knew there had to be a way to improve them beyond the freezer. After leveling them up they’re now in the weekly dinner rotation. Turns out they’re pretty easy to make and they don’t need to be fried. Just make this filling, heat the tortilla until it’s pliable, roll them up, bake, and eat. Check out how easy this recipe is.
Visit my Amazon storefront to view all the equipment I use
1lb Meatless ground beef crumbles
1 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 cilantro bunch, finely chopped
1.5 oz tomato paste
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp corriander
1 tbsp chili powder
4 oz shredded cheese
1 Jalapeno, cut into large chunks
1 lime, zested and juiced
Additional shredded cheese for topping
2 packages of corn tortillas
Iceberg lettuce, shredded
Jalapenos, cut in rings
- Saute onions and garlic for 5 minutes or unitl soft
- Add meatless crumbles. Cook until slightly crispy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and spices. Cook for about 10 minutes to caramelize the tomato paste.
- Deglaze the pan with the lime juice, add a splash of water if more liquid is needed
- Turn the heat off then mix in the finely chopped cilantro, set the mixture aside to cool
- Add the crema, jalapeno, and lime zest to a blender. Pulse to combine ingredients, crema should be smooth and a light green color
- When filling is cooled mix in the 4oz shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- To roll taquitos, microwave a few tortillas at a time until they’re pliable. Evenly distribute a small amount of filling neat the bottom of the tortilla. Roll forward and pull back slightly to create tension. Place rolled taquitos on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes then evenly disperse shredded cheese on the taquitos, bake for 10 more minutes to for a cheesy crust
- Let them cool for about 5 minutes then top with all of the toppings listed