The star of this dish is 100% the caramelized onions. To achieve caramelized onion nirvana you must be patient. This process cannot be rushed to achieve great results. I’ve seen some recipes that take hours to caramelize onions but I think generally one hour should do the trick. As if the caramelized onions weren’t already great enough, they couldn’t go without a splash of bourbon and maple syrup. Clearly the sandwich isn’t already rich enough so I dipped it in maple syrup. Lets jump into the recipe.
2 Onions, Julienned
1 tbsp Butter
Splash of bourbon
Splash of maple syrup
16 oz White cheddar, Shredded
8 Slices Favorite bread
Butter for grilled cheese
1. Start by cooking onions over a medium low heat with the butter. This process should take at least an hour. If onions start to brown lower the heat, add a splash of water to deglaze.
2. While the onions are caramelizing, butter your bread slices on one side from edge to edge
3. To finish, add the bourbon and maple syrup to the pan to deglaze, cook for about a minute then remove onions from the heat, there should be no liquid left in the pan at this point
4. To make the grilled cheese, pre heat a cast iron skillet to medium heat, place a slice of bread with the butter side down, evenly distribute enough cheese to cover the whole piece of bread then pile on the caramelized onions and more cheese, top it off with another piece of buttered bread
5. When the bottom cheese is melted its time to flip the grilled cheese and cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown
6. Let the sandwich rest for a few minutes before cutting, if you cut right away the cheese will melt out of the sandwich